Friday, April 23, 2010

"Remember My Favorite Things"

Interestingly enough, this became a discussion topic on the way to my soccer game last night. After I brought up my blog on the sound of music, the three girls in the back launched in to a chorus of "My Favourite Things." One interesting point brought up was the line "brown paper packages tied up with strings." Without any of my prodding, a girl said "That's so funny, they waited for a brown package tied up in string, and we wait for bunches of presents in colorful wrapping paper and giant bows." History right there, baby. The numerous things that Maria lists as some of her favorites, would never today appear on a favorites list of today. Standards have been changed.
Their Favorite things:
"Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens,
bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens,
brown paper packages tied up with strings,
these are a few of my favorite things.

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudels,
door bells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles.
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings.
these are a few of my favorite things

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes,
snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes,
silver white winters that melt into springs,
these are a few of my favorite things. "
."
Might now be more of a :
COD 4 on X-box and touch screens on iPods.
Fine guys at the gym and their super hot bods.
Cool new search engines like Twitters and Bings
These are a few of my favorite things.

Gold colored hair dye, and Twinkes with white cream
Text beeps and school bells and diamonds that do gleam
Wild party's that go 'till up the sun brings
These are a few of my favorite things.
Girls in short dresses with no satin sashes
No-clump mascara that stays on eyelashes.
Hours on Facebook away from siblings
These are a few of my favorite things
*Please Note: These are certainly not MY favorite things. Just "society's."

No comments:

Post a Comment